August 21, 2013
The first asylum seeker families have been sent to Nauru under the deal struck by the Federal Government earlier this month.
Seven Iranian families, including 12 children, arrived on the island this morning.
The Department of Immigration said the families would be placed in appropriate accommodation several kilometres from other asylum seekers already on Nauru.
Up until now, the Government had only been sending single men to the island nation.
The Department said there will be no mixing and no line of sight between the two groups.
The families will live in temporary marquee-style accommodation with hard floors while their asylum claims are processed.