Treated hunger striker returned to Nauru

December 10, 2012

An asylum seeker who was evacuated from Nauru for medical treatment because of a long-term hunger strike has been sent back to the detention centre.

The Iranian man, known as Omid, was flown to Australia late last month after refusing food for 50 days.

An Immigration Department spokeswoman says the man has now been returned to Nauru, where his condition will continue to be monitored by detention centre staff.

She says the decision to return him to the centre was taken after consulting medical professionals.

The man’s evacuation prompted calls from the Greens for the Government to ensure that “vulnerable people” were no longer sent to “unacceptable island prisons”.

The Government reopened the detention centre on Nauru earlier this year and has since transferred nearly 400 asylum seekers to the island.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-10/asylum-seeker-on-hunger-strike-returned-to-nauru/4419370

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Detention Centers, PNG/Pacific Solution, Torturing and Health Issues

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s