Medical alert for hunger striker on Nauru

November 12, 2012

Hunger strikers on Nauru.Hunger strikers on Nauru. Photo: Clint Deidenang

DOCTORS have told Omid – the Iranian man on the 31st day of his hunger strike on Nauru – his kidneys and brain will soon fail, fellow asylum seekers say.

An asylum seeker on Nauru told Fairfax Media on Sunday that detainees had urged the skeletal Omid to eat, but he responded that ”it’s better to die than to live on Nauru”.

A spokesman for the Department of Immigration and Citizenship said medical staff continued to monitor the man’s condition and would provide treatment ”if and when necessary”.

Omid was the first man on Nauru to begin a hunger strike. He has been joined by others, who on Sunday were into their 11th day of protest. Asylum seekers say Wilson Security guards and Salvation Army staff have been trying to persuade the men to eat.

Advertisement

While the asylum seekers say 300 men are on hunger strike, the department says at least 200 meals continue to be served daily.

The protesters are demanding to have their claims for asylum processed promptly and to be transferred to Australia for processing.

But the system is under great pressure.

At the close of business on Thursday, there were 2423 asylum seekers on Christmas Island, including 529 minors. According to the immigration department the ”contingency capacity” is 2008 people.

Until now, only men have been sent to Nauru, but the immigration spokesman confirmed that children and families would also be sent there – and to Manus Island when it opens – in coming months.

”There will be no broader blanket exemptions,” he said.

On Saturday, 36 more Sri Lankans were sent home, the fourth group of Sri Lankans forcibly removed from Australia last week.

Immigration Minister Chris Bowen said the asylum seekers had ”raised no issues that engaged Australia’s international obligations”.

Since August 13, 255 Sri Lankans have been sent home.

”People who pay smugglers are risking their lives and throwing their money away,” Mr Bowen said.

”There is no visa awaiting them on arrival, no speedy outcome, and no special treatment. The government is committed to breaking the people-smuggling trade and preventing people from taking these dangerous boats to Australia.”

He said Australia would not provide reintegration help to people sent home involuntarily.

But refugee lawyer David Manne, who led the successful High Court challenge to the so-called Malaysian solution, said the practice should be subject to review.

”We have the government keeping decision-making outside the reach of the law,” Mr Manne said.

”If these people had come here seeking asylum, their summary expulsion without due process to present their claims would be a flagrant violation of our international legal obligations and could endanger those people’s lives.

”It is crucial that an independent umpire with wide-ranging powers of investigation and reporting be urgently appointed to scrutinise what may be the emergence of a systematic denial of due legal process, which could endanger lives.”

Meanwhile, another boat – this time carrying 134 people – was intercepted north-east of Christmas Island on Sunday.

Customs said that HMAS Childers came to the aid of a suspected asylum seeker boat at the request of the the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.

The people on board will be taken to Christmas Island for initial security, health and identity checks.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Boat Intercepted, Detention Centers, PNG/Pacific Solution, Torturing and Health Issues

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s