October 15, 2012
The Federal Government has announced plans to set up an individual review process for asylum seekers who want to contest adverse ASIO findings.
The High Court ruled earlier this month that a decision to deny a Sri Lankan man a visa, because of an adverse security assessment from ASIO, was invalid.
Under the new plan, former Federal Court judge Margaret Stone will re-examine cases where ASIO has found asylum seekers pose a threat to security.
Attorney-General Nicola Roxon told ABC’s 7.30 that if the review decided the finding was wrong it would be referred back to ASIO, the Immigration Minister and the Attorney-General.
“That will then mean that there will be an obligation for ASIO to take account of that, to completely refresh their decision or of course to remove the adverse security assessment,” she said.
It would be very difficult for any [ASIO] director general not to comply with a finding from this independent reviewer.Attorney-General Nicola Roxon
“It would be very difficult for any [ASIO] director general not to comply with a finding from this independent reviewer and that’s why we’re establishing an accountability process and a transparency process.
“I think it’ll be good for ASIO and good for the community that that extra level of accountability is place.”